About Me

My photo
Hi my name is Andria and I am graduate student at Fairmont State Univeristy working towards my masters in the art of teaching. I am a sparkler and my quirkiness makes me hard to remember but impossible to forget! I believe your character is shaped by the unexpected things that happen in life and how you deal with them.Attitude is everything dont cry because its over, Smile because it happened. I enjoy the simple things in life.To receive much, you must give much.Personality has the power to open many doors, but it is character that keeps them open.Sometimes what you're looking for is right where you left it.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Excel Basics

**RANT ALERT**
There is not to many programs out there that frustrate me or intimidate me and now for the second time this semester in this class I am intimidated by: Excel! Definitely not my strong suit and I haven't used it in so long I feel like I am the blind teaching the blind right now. But alas I will prevail I always do and if I don't then someone throw out a lifeline and show me what I am doing wrong. 
**RANT OVER**

So this is what today's activity mirrors the Action Research process in that this is an example of getting data and doing a rudimentary data analysis by expanding the use of your spreadsheet. Dr. Pierce says that we should already know how to use the built in functions of Excel, (this is where I am foggy), and calculate formulas, (again not so much), and then he wants to teach us more tips and tricks to Excel. Now not be a negative nancy but if I can't even do the basics I don't know if I am ready to hit the tip and tricks. But for now lets move on. 

Next we need to prepare our data given to us by Dr. Pierce. The data given was collected from the responses given to Dr. Pierce from our mid-term self assessment survey so it consisted of male/female, browser used, blog posts etc...So what we needed to do was take our text values and turn them into discrete numerical values so we can analyze statistically. So what I did was take the excel sheet provided to us from Dr. Pierce and took the text values and turned them into numeric values as follows:
Sex: Male=1 Female=2
Browser used: Chrome=1, Internet Explorer=2, Firefox=3, Safari=4
Occupation: Teaching=1, Not Teaching=2
MTBI: ENFJ=1, INFJ=2, ISFP=3. INFP=4, ISTJ=5, ESTP=6, ISFJ=7, INTJ=8, IIFJ=9, ESTJ=10, ENFG=11, ESFJ=12, ESFP=13
All other categories were already in numeric vale so they could left as is. This is a little preview of what my excel sheet looked like:


After doing this I needed to calculate the average blog posts and compare my number of blog posts to see if I was above or below average. The average number of blog posts for this class is 15.44 so let's just round down to 15. My number of blog posts as to when data was collected was 15. So I am spot on with the class average which makes me feel reassured that I am up to date in all class content and assignments!

The standard that this assignment met was:

So that's a wrap on this assignment. I'm off to ready chapters 4-6 of Excel for Dummies. 
Until next time
Andria

No comments:

Post a Comment